The Reinholds Fire Company No. 1 was organized and held its first official meeting on December 18, 1914, in what was known as the Reinholds Band Hall. At this meeting L.G. Hershey was nominated as president and Tobias Ochs was secretary. A committee was than appointed to decide on the means by which money could be raised for the purchase of a fire engine. The men comprising this committee were Daniel Gring, Michael Gerhart, George Schlappig, Amos Eberly and John Bensing. These men realized that no organization could be ran without a constitution and bylaws and therefore, on January 15, 1915, application was made for a charter was received about April 15, 1915, at a cost of $22.96. This expense was defrayed by a collection amounting to $34.80.
On February 27, 1915, a committee was appointed to hold an outdoor fair to raise funds for the purchase of a fire engine. The committee included Lee Brubaker, Daniel Gring, Amos Eberly, J.M. Brunner and Thomas Stewart. This fair, which was the Fire Company's first, realized a profit of $184.51. Soon after the first election was held which resulted in the seating of the following officers: L.G. Hershey, President; Micheal Gerhart, vice-president; Tobias Ochs, secretary; August Hartman, assistant secretary; George Schlappig, treasure; Stephen Bucher, fire chief; Adam Sweigart, assistant fire chief; Levi Keith, Amos Eberly, and Abraham Loose, trustees.
On April 6, 1915, the company purchased a Howe combination water and chemical fire engine with 500 feet of 2 inch hose for $760 and an additional $23.32 for freight charges making a total of $783.32. To pay for this engine, 556.57 was called leaving a deficit of $200 to be loaned for the first pumper in Reinholds.
The fire engine was delivered to the company on May 10, 1915, and was temporarily housed in the garage of George Schlappig. On Sunday, July 11, 1915, at about 11 p.m. a fire was discovered in the frame storage house of J.M. Brunner. If it had been for the splendid work done by the volunteer firemen in the use of this two month old pumper and carrying of water from every well in town, this entire community of Reinholds would have burned to the ground as this was the only fire engine between Reading and Lancaster!
It was soon after this fire that the first fire hall was built on the land of J.M. Brunner. Moved back about 200 feet, the building is still in use as a storage house for antiques. Its bell tower was moved to our new building where it is still proudly displayed.
On June 16, 1916, the fire company built, for the sum of $65, a a cistern 20 feet long, 8 feet wide and 8 feet deep, as a source of water in the event of fire in Reinholds itself. This cisterns which lies next to the old fire hall, holds 500 barrels of water and is kept in condition by Raymond Brunner.
The company continued to hold fairs and festivals at different places in the community but most of these proved too small for the Fire Company's needs. Thus arose the need for an adequate building not only to house the engine but to serve as a place of recreation for the entire community.
After much discussion and observation of different sites, the trustees were ordered to purchase the corner lot which is the present fire hall stands. On December 6, 1919, Charles and Sue Claudy sold the land for $600. The Fire Company was fortunate in getting this location in the center of town where it is always convenient for the firefighters when they are called out to fight a fire.
A committee consisting of J.R. Hirneisen, Levi Keith, George Schlappig , E.G. Showalter, Tobias Ochs, L.g. Hershey, A.W. Eberly and Adam Sweigart was appointed to investigate various fire halls in order to find one that would best suit the needs of our town.